Monday, June 19, 2017

Saga, Vol.1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Title: Saga, Vol. 1
Author: Brian K. Vaughan
Illustrator: Fiona Staples
Released October 23, 2012
Bought Paperback from Amazon
Rating: 4.5/5

Summary

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe.

From bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan, Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults (Summary from Goodreads).


Review

So this book reminded me a lot of Game of Thrones. They aren't similar in any way whatsoever in terms of story-line, it's just that both had me hooked because of how, ahem, "adult" some of the scenes were, as well as the violence and overall dark tone set by the illustrations. The art, by the way, is so colorful and captures all my attention.

There are so many weird things in this book.  We have people with wings, people with horns, people with TVs as heads, hipster ghosts, a lynx that senses when people are lying, etc.  I mean, it's weird as hell, but somehow it works.

The characters are witty and multi-faceted.  There are hints in the book that they have history and I feel there is a boatload of info that I can't wait to learn about them.  Already, a potential adversary for our main characters shows he can kill without a thought, yet tries to save a 6-year old from being a sex slave.

The bad thing about graphic novels is that they are too short! I can't tell if I will really like this series until I read more. I definitely want to read the next one, though!! I'm keeping this review short and spoiler-free, but future reviews for this series will probably have spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...