Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

Title: The Sun Is Also a Star
Author: Nicola Yoon
Released November 1, 2016
Borrowed from Library
Rating: 3/5

Summary

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true? (Summary from Goodreads)

Review

I really wanted to love this, but unfortunately I felt "meh" about it.  Oddly, it was too romantic for me.  I say "oddly" because usually I enjoy a good ship and experiencing all the feels.  I've come to realize that I might just enjoy slow-burning ships.  The dialogue seemed too unrealistic.

I did like some of the themes that were dealt with in the story (i.e.controlling parents, figuring out what you want to do with your life, identity, suicide, illegal immigration).  I could especially understand the dynamic between Daniel and his father.  Although my own dad is not nearly as controlling as Daniel's father, he has always reminded my brother and I how good we have it compared to him growing up.  

I also thought it was interesting that we got information about minor characters in some chapters and could see how the main characters affected their stories.  It was a "cute" story and easy read, but it didn't impress me as much as I thought it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...