Friday, May 5, 2017

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

Title: Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1)
Author: Neal Shusterman
Released November 22, 2016
Borrowed from Library
Rating: 3/5

Summary

Thou shalt kill.

A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.

Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own (Summary from Goodreads).

Review

Hey readers, sorry it's been awhile since I've posted anything! I didn't even bother posting a TBR for the month because I was still reading two books from last month's TBR.  The last month has been crazy busy and stressful because of school, but I only have one more exam tomorrow and then it'll be time for extreme reading.  Last May, I read 6 books in 2.5 weeks!

On to the review.  After much deliberation, I ended up rating this 3 stars because I liked the concept and the main characters, but didn't love the writing.  What I really liked about Scythe was that the idea was original.  I haven't seen any YA books remotely similar to this, except for the competition factor between the two main characters.  Our main characters actually seemed to have common sense in their actions and thought processes, unlike a lot of YA main characters.  I also liked that the beginning of each chapter had an excerpt from the Scythe's journals, which gave me a better idea of what they thought about the morality of being a Scythe and the politics in the Scythedom.

However, I couldn't help but be bored by the flat writing.  There were many times when my eyes kinda glazed over and I had to go back to reread.  Since the book was set hundreds of years into the future, there was an opportunity to do a lot of world-building and descriptions of the technology, but it lacked both.  Not only that, but the side characters were rather dull, and I would have liked to see more descriptions of how characters said things or what their facial expressions looked like.  This is another book that I think my younger middle-school self would have enjoyed more.

While I would have liked a more surprising ending, it was good in that the author could have left this a standalone book or added sequels. It looks like there will be a sequel, but I'm not sure if I'll actually read it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...