Tuesday, May 30, 2017

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Title: I'll Give You the Sun
Author: Jandy Nelson
Released September 16, 2014
Borrowed from Library
Rating: 4.5/5

Summary

Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them.

But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life.

The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world (Summary from Goodreads).

Review

For some reason I went into this book thinking it would be a light and fluffy read.  Boy, was I wrong. Although it was an easy read, it packed an emotional punch.

The book alternates POVs between twins Noah and Jude. All of Noah's chapters are accounts of the twins when they were 13 years old, and Jude's when they are 16. Both teens are artistic, Noah moreso than Jude which is evident by the super flowery prose in his POVs. I am not a fan of flowery prose, so the plethora of metaphors in Noah's POVs threw me off.  However, as the story developed it became addicting and I didn't mind it as much. The hard thing about the metaphors was decrypting them so I could split apart what was actually happening in the scene versus what the character was experiencing emotionally.

I didn't truly start to fully enjoy this book until the second time I got to Jude's POV.  I think I really enjoyed the way Jude was carrying these random objects because of her superstitions and her relationship with her grandma's ghost. And also Oscar. Who doesn't love a character with a British accent?

A Jude-and-Oscar scene that I loved:
Jude: "A boy boycott."
"Really?" he says with a grin. "I'll take that as a challenge.
Help.
As a sibling of a bro that is both my best friend and gets on my nerves on the daily, the dynamic between the twins was relatable except when bro and I fight, it's like it never happened an hour later. I think the story captured the relationship between siblings amazingly with Noah and Jude's banter and emotional moments.

I'm not sure how to describe the ending except that it was extremely satisfying. The whole book I'm feeling tense because Noah and Jude have this rift between them and I'm wondering how they will make amends. The story was weaved in such a way where the ending was, plain and simple, beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...