Saturday, May 20, 2017

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Released May 2, 2017
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 3/5

Summary

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places (Summary from Goodreads).

Review

***Review contains spoilers***

Time to FINALLY review ACOWAR, which has been all over the YA book community since its release. Going in, I forgot almost everything that happened in ACOMAF. All I knew is I wanted more Rhys! Maas did a great job bringing me back up to speed on previous events.

I'm debating where to start when reviewing such a huge book with so many characters...

I'll start with what I liked. At first, I found the beginning chapters exciting because Feyre was going all spy mode and taking down Tamlin's court. But upon reflection, I realized it was kind of stupid on Feyre's part, knowing that she would need his army later when fighting Hybern. Still, it was badass until she was caught. I also particularly enjoyed one of the war scenes toward the end when we had great descriptions of Cassian raining destruction upon Hybern's army. We are told how glorious the crew is at fighting, but it was nice to finally have a scene showing it.

Now, three stars means I liked it but there were numerous problems that prevented me from really liking or loving it. My first problem is the size of this book. There was no reason for these books to be this long, especially when they are filled with scenes that provide nothing for moving the story along. There really shouldn't have been so many sex scenes between Rhys and Feyre. I would't mind if there was one, but this book is supposed to be high fantasy and is long enough without these useless scenes getting in the way of story progression. Another part that bothered me was the scene where Rhys and Feyre were hosting a meeting to recruit the High Lords to join their forces in the war with Hybern. This scene felt ridiculously long because it was as if they were teenagers bickering rather than High Fae that have been alive for hundreds of years.

I like to read other reviews on Goodreads because they get me thinking about some elements I wouldn't have thought of on my own. One three star review mentioned that ACOWAF would have benefited from multiple POVs, and I totally agree. You could tell Maas had Feyre on the sidelines in some scenes just so that she could watch and describe what the other characters were doing. For instance, there was a scene where Feyre got into Lucien's head which was basically done just so the reader could see how much Lucien was obsessed with Elain. Which leads me to another point: wtf happened to Lucien? Maas built up his character in the beginning chapters only to throw him completely out of the picture! Again, this would have been an excellent opportunity for multiple POVs! We could have seen what Lucien was up to or the sweet exchanges between Cassian and Nesta from one of their POVs.

There were other things that bothered me as well, such as the fact that Feyre didn't even think about finding the Suriel until the worst possible time. The writing was definitely better than the first book, but a step down from the second. Not sure if I will continue the series...maybe if the next books are shorter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...