Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer

Title: Wires and Nerve, Volume 1 (Wires and Nerve #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Illustrator: Douglas Holgate
Released January 31, 2017
Bought Hardcover from Amazon
Rating: 4.5/5

Summary

In her first graphic novel, bestselling author Marissa Meyer extends the world of the Lunar Chronicles with a brand-new, action-packed story about Iko, the android with a heart of (mechanized) gold. When rogue packs of wolf-hybrid soldiers threaten the tenuous peace alliance between Earth and Luna, Iko takes it upon herself to hunt down the soldiers' leader. She is soon working with a handsome royal guard who forces her to question everything she knows about love, loyalty, and her own humanity. With appearances by Cinder and the rest of the Rampion crew, this is a must-have for fans of the bestselling series (Summary from Goodreads).

Review

So I'm kinda biased because I love everything this woman writes and I knew I would love this going in.  This is Marissa Meyer's first graphic novel, and my first time reading a graphic novel.  Although I obviously have no experience reading graphic novels, I thought the illustrations were great, and I loved getting into the world of The Lunar Chronicles in a different format.

Wires and Nerve begins after the events of Winter, the final book of The Lunar Chronicles.  I would definitely recommend reading TLC before this graphic novel, because there is no way you could get the same experience without knowing all the awesomeness that came before the events of this graphic novel.

**The rest of this review contains spoilers**

So I absolutely loved all the scenes with Iko.  She still has her sassiness, and she's also a badass as she dishes out sweet justice to Levana's former mutated soldier army.  It's interesting how Iko struggles with her "feelings."  As we know, Iko is an android, but her feelings feel very, very real.  Although the Rampion crew treats Iko like any other human being, she feels lonely knowing she is most likely the only android with a personality chip that's so independent.  Other humans besides the Rampion crew treat her like any other android, and that definitely gets on her nerves (see what I did there? okay I'll stop).

This theme of Iko struggling with having human emotions is also reflected in her relationship with one of Cinder's guards, Kinney.  Kinney seems like a jerk - it appears he only sees Iko as the android she is, and he often makes mean comments to her about it.  However, I just think he is afraid of getting feelings for a robot (understandable), and is taking it out on her.  THAT LAST CHAPTER THOOO. Never thought I would ship an android and a human!

I felt that Iko and Cinder were most like their book selves, but for some reason I didn't feel it with the other Rampion crew members.  Thorne didn't look like how I would imagine, and I felt he wasn't as witty as he normally is.  However, I know this is Meyer's first graphic novel, and I can't imagine it is easy conveying personality into short bits of dialogue. These were the only reasons I decided to rate 4.5 stars instead of 5.  Well, also because I really want MORE.  I'm so happy to have this on my bookshelf, and I can't wait for the next volume! I wonder how many volumes there will be of my sweet, sweet babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...