Monday, December 5, 2016

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Title: Seraphina (Seraphina #1)
Author: Rachel Hartman
Released July 1, 2012
Bought from Book Outlet
Rating 5/5

Summary

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life (Summary from Goodreads).

Review

GOOD BOOK IS GOOD.

Seraphina had been sitting in my closet, collecting dust, for over a year.  I was hesitant to start it since it had less than 4 stars on Goodreads, but I am SO GLAD I was too lazy to go to the library the other day!! I was instantly hooked on this book (could be because anxiety is over 9000 because presentations and finals this month).  This was one of those books that I had to stay up super late to read because it was so hard to put down!

So, let's discuss!  I find there are certain elements to a book that really draw me in, and this book had those:

1, MC has to keep a secret.  Our main character, Seraphina, is half dragon/half human (which is cool btw) in a world where humans are fearful and disgusted by dragons.  I'm a sucker for dramatic irony, as you can tell by my love for Cinder, Six of Crows, and The Winner's Crime.

2.  MC has a cool ability.  Actually, she has two, but the ability I admire more is her talent for music. It was not made clear in the book whether her musicality came from her being half dragon, or if it was "in her genes" since her mother was very musical.  Either way, I don't see a lot of YA books with musical main characters, which made this book more unique.  Seraphina's other ability has to do with her mind, but I won't spoil anything for ya'll.

3.  Great ship! I am on the Seraphina x Kiggs train!!  I need a ship name...Phinakiggs?? Kiggsaphina? Kiggs is the Captain of the Guard, and what I like about him is that he's very intuitive, conscientious, and honorable.  He can tell Seraphina is hiding something, but he still knows she's good.  This book has a mysterious vibe to it, since Kiggs kinda acts like a detective.  Perfect dude, amiright?? Well, there's a catch: he's engaged to the Princess.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this read,  My inability to provide a good review is really not doing this book justice! Really, it was a great book, and I actually learned a few new words due to all the ten-dollar words scattered throughout the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...