Thursday, November 3, 2016

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Title: An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1)
Author: Sabaa Tahir
Released April 28, 2015
Borrowed from Library
Rating: 5/5

Summary

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself (Summary from Goodreads).

My Review

This book was SO GOOD.  And it's even in first person POV! Which I normally can't stand!

An Ember in the Ashes is a true page-tuner.  Seriously, every chapter ends on a little cliffhanger and makes it really difficult to put down this book.  Last Saturday, I was planning on spending the day doing homework, but instead I knew I just had to finish this book (it would have distracted me from homework, anyway).

Because it was such a page-turner, I gave this 5 stars.  I would say the only things that kinda bothered me was how useless Laia is and getting used to first person POV in the beginning.  However, I would say Laia is realistic for being the way she is, and I obviously stopped caring about it being in first person since it was so good.

While there weren't any plot twists per-se, there was definitely a lot of action and anxiety-inducing moments.  It was especially anxiety-inducing during scenes in which Laia spied for the Resistance and the fighting scenes with Elias (I won't reveal specifics because spoilers).  Another thing that really added to the drama was switching every other chapter between Laia and Elias.  It was smart to only switch between these two characters, because I tend to get annoyed when books go into a side character's POV.  I like not knowing what the side characters are thinking, just like the main characters.

Overall, definitely recommend.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...