Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Released May 5, 2015
Borrowed from Library
Rating: 2.5/5

Summary

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it... or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever (Summary from Goodreads).

Review

So I went into this book thinking it would be a 4-star read...turned to 3 stars after the first 30% and then I was flipping back and forth between 2 stars and 3 stars during the second half. I did like it in the beginning, but I just couldn't help but get really annoyed with the MC Feyre and Maas' writing in general. Apologies, this is going to come off more as a rant than a review.

First off, Feyre was basically Katniss and Bella combined. She is a huntress that is good with a bow and arrows supporting her family on her own (just like Katniss). Also, later in the novel there are faeries that kiss their hands and hold them out to her as a farewell. Tell me that isn't a direct copy of the three-finger salute from The Hunger Games. She is basically like Bella from Twilight since she, a human that can easily die, does the dumbest sh*t all for her IMMORTAL man, Tamlin, who she fell in insta-love with. Tamlin even nipped her neck at one point. Their romance scenes were major cringe worthy, as well (and you all know how I like a good ship so that says something right there).

I maybe could have stomached all of that if the writing didn't piss me off.  I already didn't care for her writing in the ToG series which was third person POV, but she should stay faaaaar away from first person after this series. Some examples of annoying phrases used multiple times throughout the novel:
-"my bowels turned watery" lmao like what??? 
-"he cracked a lazy grin" This was fine, except I think you can come up with a different way to describe Tamlin's grin after the 5th time of using this.
-"utterly [insert word]" use a thesaurus if you're looking for powerful adjectives!!!
-"my knees buckled" I swear Feyre's knees buckled like 10 times in the first half of the book. 
-lines that are said "softly" that I just could not imagine being said softly at all. This is me just being picky.

I mean, I should have known going in since I hated Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows from ToG series...for some reason I expected more. The story and characters had potential (I was even starting to jump on the Rhys train), but I just could not get over Maas' writing and I felt like Feyre was a mad whiney copy of Katniss. I've heard that the sequel is better written, but honestly I just think that her writing style isn't a good fit for me no matter what people say. I would try it out, but I don't think I could handle 600 pages of her writing without going into a reading slump. After reading this, I no longer feel like I'm "missing out" on this popular series.

I know that many readers LOVE her books, so please respect my disagreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...