Monday, February 29, 2016

Earth's End by Elise Kova

Title: Earth's End (Air Awakens #3)
Author: Elise Kova
Released February 11, 2016
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 2/5

Summary

A woman awoken in air, a soldier forged by fire, a weapon risen from blood.

Vhalla Yarl has made it to the warfront in the North. Forged by blood and fire, she has steeled her heart for the final battle of the Solaris Empire’s conquest. The choices before Vhalla are no longer servitude or freedom, they are servitude or death. The stakes have never been higher as the Emperor maintains his iron grip on her fate, holding everything Vhalla still has left to lose in the balance (Summary from Goodreads).



Review

Ahhhh it pains me so much to rate this two stars after loving the first two books!

I think the difference between this one and the first two is the balance between romance and plot. The first two had a great balance between the two and I swooned with the interactions between Vhalla and Aldrick. In Earth's End, however, the romance was overwhelming and cheesy and there was little plot, character development, nor any more interesting information about the magic system (I find magic systems to be fascinating).

We were introduced to a new character, Jax, who I think was supposed to be a comedic character kind of like Carswell Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles, but I think there wasn't enough development for his character, as well as the other side characters that carried into this book. Don't get me wrong, I love a good ship, but when it comes to romance I think less is more to a certain extent.

That ending was definitely crazy, but since the romance was overdone throughout the novel, I didn't really feel as upset as I should have. Still looking forward to where the story goes in the next book, but I think this book could have been reduced and combined with another.

I am holding out faith that the next two books will be better. Despite the lack of much happening in this book, there is a lot of opportunity for improvement if Kova tappers down on the romance and focuses a little more on plot and character development rather than petty drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...