Friday, January 15, 2016

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Released September 17, 2013
Bought on Kindle Fire
Rating: 3.5/5

Summary

If you could steal things from dreams, what would you take?

Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.

One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.

And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.

Ronan is one of the raven boys—a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface—changing everything in its wake (Summary from Goodreads).

Review

Once again, I enjoyed the interactions and the friendship between these characters.  I wished that I could have gotten more of Blue and Gansey's POVs.  It didn't feel like they had a major part to play in this book, which made me a little sad because they're my favorites.  I did like learning a little more about Ronan, but I felt that the plot in this book was very slow compared to the first one.  The Raven Boys had a mysterious vibe, and I simply didn't feel that with this one.  I was honestly quite bored, and I'm not sure if that is because of my overall mood or if it's the book.

Adam was my favorite character in The Raven Boys, but after this one, he is probably the most annoying. Seriously, most of his POV is complaining that Gansey has everything and doesn't have to think about money blah blah blah.  I mean, he should know by now that Gansey does not mean to rub his money in his face.  I'm a little confused if this had to do with *spoiler* him sacrificing himself in The Raven Boys, or if he's just a constantly jealous person.

There was a character known as The Gray Man whose POVs also annoyed me.  His personality is too similar to Whelk's in The Raven Boys.  Personally, I think the book changes POVs too much to characters that I don't care about.  I think I would rather not know some of the intentions of the characters.  I'd rather see how one of the main characters like Blue or Gansey interpret their actions, if that makes sense. I would rather have the POVs shift only between the raven boys and Blue.

There were a few parts that did hold a lot of action, especially toward the end.  These moments, in addition to some great quotes, led me to give this 3.5 stars.  Here's a couple quotes that I especially enjoyed (WARNING: THESE MAY BE SPOILERS):

Blue was a fanciful but sensible thing, like a platypus, or one of those sandwiches that had been cut into circles for a fancy tea party.

There was something warming, Ronan thought, about all of them burying a body on his behalf.

There was that heavy silence that sometimes happens when a hit man enters a room.

In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them.  Their magic. Their quest.  Their awfulness and strangeness.  Her raven boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...