Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

Title: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Released September 1, 2015
Borrowed hardcover from friend
Rating: 3/5

Summary

The queen has returned.

Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she’s at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past…

She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die for her. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen’s triumphant return.

The fourth volume in the New York Times bestselling series continues Celaena’s epic journey and builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world (Summary from Goodreads).


Please don't hate me.  I'm thoroughly disappointed. And not just because Chaolena sunk.

Whilst reading the previous book, Heir of Fire, I hoped that it would get better.  It didn't.  The first half of Queen of Shadows was extremely slow.  There was maybe one exciting thing that happened.  The second half picked up a bit, but honestly I could not stand the lusting between Aelin and Rowan.  It wouldn't have bother me so much if it didn't completely come out of nowhere.  Now, I knew they were supposed to get together in this book from my friend's reactions and some of the reviews I read.  I expected it, but I was soooo annoyed that it was all lust.  They had a strictly platonic relationship in Heir of Fire, and all of a sudden Aelin is missing Rowan like a homesick puppy.  Not only that, but Rowan was all over her.  The inconsistency in the characterization really irked me.  Even Chaol, a once complicated main character, came across as cardboard.

Now, I know a lot of people say, "Aelin is a different person from Celaena."  It's okay for character development, but it's as if she's a completely different character.  I never got over the way she suddenly hated Chaol for the dumbest reasons.  It felt forced.  Celaena and Chaol had a genuine friendship, and all of a sudden it meant nothing?? At times, Queen of Shadows just felt like a fanfiction to get Rowan and Aelin together.

I also gave z-e-r-o shits about Aedion, Rowan, and Aelin's POVs.  Aedion feels like a filler character, Rowan fawned over Aelin half the time, and Aelin blames everyone for things they can't control *cough cough Chaol*

I would have given it two stars if it wasn't for the more exciting ending and Manon's POVs.  Manon is probably my favorite, and she's an interesting, super badass character.  She's grown up ruthless and obedient, but finds herself questioning all that she's been taught.  She's really gone through a lot of character development since Heir of Fire.  I'm even starting to ship her with Dorian after this book!

I expect that the next book will be even longer than this one, and probably full of a lot more infuriating moments.  I'll probably read it anyway to see where the story goes, especially to see what happens with Manon.  I loved Thrown of Glass and Crown of Midnight and it's just so sad to see the author toying with readers by making these characters fickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...