Friday, January 22, 2016

Fire Falling by Elise Kova

Title: Fire Falling (Air Awakens #2)
Author: Elise Kova
Released November 19, 2015
Bought on Kindle Fire
Rating: 5/5

Summary

Soldier… Sorcerer… Savior… Who is Vhalla Yarl?

Vhalla Yarl marches to war as property of the Solaris Empire. The Emperor counts on her to bring victory, the Senate counts on her death, and the only thing Vhalla can count on is the fight of her life. As she grapples with the ghosts of her past, new challenges in the present threaten to shatter the remnants of her fragile sanity. Will she maintain her humanity? Or will she truly become the Empire’s monster? (Summary from Goodreads)

Review

Okay guys this series is really bringing out the hopeless romantic in me.  I HAVE NO SHAME.

My goodness the sexual tension between Vhalla and Aldrick was real in the first book and even more real in this one!!!  This author is gifted - it could easily have been too cheesy.  Yet, there I was, taken under the spell of Prince Aldrick.  I have to say, though, that if you don't enjoy a good ship, you may not like this book because a lot of this book includes interactions between Vhalla and Aldrick.  This is good for shippers like me, but bad for those who want the main focus to be on the plot.  Don't get me wrong, there is a good plot, magic system, and world building, but the romance is definitely at the forefront of this particular book.

Another thing I really like about the author is her ability to rope me into the world and the characters, even though not a lot of huge events occurred in this book (EXCEPT FOR THAT ENDING OMG).  That didn't matter all that much to me because the writing is so smooth that I simply enjoy reading her work.

What I really like about Vhalla is that she isn't a very strong character.  She can be weak emotionally at times, but I find that to be realistic rather than annoying.  She's a character that has to overcome her fears and insecurities to survive.  We got a deeper look into some of the side characters, like Larel and Daniel, as well as Prince Aldrick, who has quite a sensitive side.

This book ended on a huge cliffhanger, and I CANNOT WAIT to see what happens next.  The good thing is that this author releases her sequels only a couple months apart, so I only have to wait until next month to read Earth's End!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...