Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Air Awakens by Elise Kova

Title: Air Awakens (Air Awakens #1)
Author: Elise Kova
Released August 27, 2015
Bought on Kindle Fire
Rating: 5/5

Summary

A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable magic bond...

The Solaris Empire is one conquest away from uniting the continent, and the rare elemental magic sleeping in seventeen-year-old library apprentice Vhalla Yarl could shift the tides of war.

Vhalla has always been taught to fear the Tower of Sorcerers, a mysterious magic society, and has been happy in her quiet world of books. But after she unknowingly saves the life of one of the most powerful sorcerers of them all—the Crown Prince Aldrik—she finds herself enticed into his world. Now she must decide her future: Embrace her sorcery and leave the life she’s known, or eradicate her magic and remain as she’s always been. And with powerful forces lurking in the shadows, Vhalla’s indecision could cost her more than she ever imagined (Summary from Goodreads).

Review

My expectations were not very high for this book.  I was so mistaken.  IT WAS SO GOOD.

The first thing that stuck out to me was the smoothness of the writing.  It was so well written that my eyes just glided over the words effortlessly.  Our main character Vhalla is an innocent cinnamon roll that discovers she is the exact thing she was taught to fear: a sorcerer.  She is an endearing character that asks a LOT of questions in the beginning half of the book, which could annoy some readers, but I thought it was fitting as she is known to be a curious person.  Our main dude, Prince Aldrik, is swoon-worthy.  He is a complex character that may come off as a prick, but shows flashes of the caring person beneath.

This book reminded me of some of my favorite books/movies/musicals.  For one, Vhalla and an unknown person exchange notes via the books in the library.  The mysterious person calls himself a phantom.  The first thing that came to mind was obviously Phantom of the Opera, my fave musical ever!! Two, Aldrik reminds me so much of Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice (BAE).  He comes off as arrogant and self-centered, but he is actually just an awkward precious sinnamon roll. 

The magic system is fantastic and interesting.  As Vhalla learned about magic, I was not bored at all.  I wanted to learn about it just as much as she.  There was more I wanted to say, but my mind has gone numb from such feels.  Overall, a fantastic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...