Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Starriest Summer by Adelle Yeung

Title: The Starriest Summer (The Cycle of the Six Moons #1)
Author: Adelle Yeung
Released September 22, 2015
Bought Signed Paperback
Rating: 3/5

Summary

Fifteen-year-old Michelle saves the world on a daily basis…with her trusty video game controller, of course! Naturally, she jumps at the chance to play an experimental virtual reality game. 

The beautiful fantasy world of Starrs? Check. The power to mold matter? Check. No reset button? Wait, she didn’t sign up for this! 

Turns out Starrs is really real, and to make matters worse, Michelle’s interference awakens the Cycle of the Six Moons, a series of devastating trials that will devour the universe. 

Fighting the apocalypse was way easier when danger stayed on the other side of the screen, but Michelle finds a secret weapon in her new-found powers. She uses them to rescue the crown prince of a powerful magic kingdom from their sworn enemies, a technologically-advanced cult that strives to eradicate magical blood. 

Michelle starts to fall for Prince Jayse, the only one who believes Michelle to be a savior rather than a curse. But not even video games could prepare her for what the cult has in store for them…(Summary from Goodreads)


I saw this book on a blog tour website, and I immediately was drawn in by the cover. It's so cute!! 

What I liked about the book was the unique plot - I don't think I've seen any other YA books where a character goes into a video game. The main character, Michelle, is a very hyper 15 year-old. She's upbeat and mad chill. The way she talks is probably very similar to the way I spoke when I was her age (and I still do now because I'm immature). The Star Wars references in the beginning made me laugh, especially since I'm rewatching all the movies in anticipation of seeing the new movie soon.

While there was a lot of potential, I felt like some of the events seemed a little random, and there wasn't really a build up to an epic ending. There were sporadic moments of excitement followed by moments that were kind of bland. I was also a bit confused about explanation of the Cycle of the Six Moons.


Out of personal preference, first person POV kinda turns me off (there's something about seeing "I" that just annoys me). Since the POV was a very hyper 15 year-old, it was almost like reading a book written by a 15 year-old. Sometimes the dialogue seemed unrealistic and childish.  It almost seemed more like a middle-grade book.  Keeping that in mind, I think this book would be better for the "younger" part of the YA audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...