Monday, December 7, 2015

Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson

Title: Shadows of Self (Mistborn #5)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Released October 6, 2015
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 3.5/5

Summary
 
Shadows of Self shows Mistborn’s society evolving as technology and magic mix, the economy grows, democracy contends with corruption, and religion becomes a growing cultural force, with four faiths competing for converts.

This bustling, optimistic, but still shaky society now faces its first instance of terrorism, crimes intended to stir up labor strife and religious conflict. Wax and Wayne, assisted by the lovely, brilliant Marasi, must unravel the conspiracy before civil strife stops Scadrial’s progress in its tracks.

Shadows of Self will give fans of The Alloy of Law everything they’ve been hoping for and, this being a Brandon Sanderson book, more, much more (Summary from Goodreads).


In case you didn't know, Shadows of Self is part of a series called Mistborn.  The first three books were EPIC and take place in a kind of medieval setting.  Books four and five (this one) take place around 400 years later during an Industrial Revolution.  

As usual, I always most enjoy the scenes where the characters are using their Allomancy or Feruchemy.  Those scenes are pretty cool and are usually action packed.  I must say, though, that the first three books were so great that I'm finding it hard to like these characters as much as the original crew.  They're just a little too archetypal Wild West to me.  Also, the conflict is on a much smaller scale, and it's hard to care as much as I did with the large scale epicness of the first three books.

The parts that I most enjoyed usually involved a mentioning of the old characters or TenSoon helping Wax. Through most of the book I couldn't wait for the last 20% because that's where the majority of the action happens, or at least something that makes me actually care.

Another factor as to why I didn't quite enjoy this could be that I just finished reading The Winner's Crime, which I loved sooooooo much.  It's hard to go to another book after reading something so good!

I'm not sure yet whether I will continue this series.  I read the synopsis for the next book, and I'm honestly not feeling very interested.  Who knows, I may get into the perfect mood to read it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...