Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined by Stephanie Meyer

Title: Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (Twilight #5)
Author: Stephanie Meyer
Released October 6, 2015
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 3.5/5

Summary

Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Twilight! This special double-feature book includes the classic novel, Twilight, and a bold and surprising reimagining, Life and Death, by Stephenie Meyer.
Packaged as an oversize, jacketed hardcover “flip book,” this edition features nearly 400 pages of new content as well as exquisite new back cover art. Readers will relish experiencing the deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful love story of Bella and Edward through fresh eyes.
Twilight has enraptured millions of readers since its first publication in 2005 and has become a modern classic, redefining genres within young adult literature and inspiring a phenomenon that has had readers yearning for more. The novel was a #1 New York Times bestseller, a #1USA Today bestseller, a Time magazine Best Young Adult Book of All Time, an NPR Best-Ever Teen Novel, and a New York Times Editor’s Choice. The Twilight Saga, which also includes New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella, and The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide, has sold nearly 155 million copies worldwide (Summary from Goodreads).
I just realized that this took me almost a month to finish!! I've been so busy with school - I absolutely CANNOT WAIT FOR CHRISTMAS BREAK!!!
Okay, now to my review...
When I first saw on Twitter that Stephanie Meyer had written a gender-bent version of Twilight, I was like WOAHHHH and then I had the strongest urge to check it out.  The majority of the book was similar to Twilight, BUT I did notice there were actually a lot of changes.  I won't go through them all, but I'll give you an example: Instead of Beau (a.k.a Bella) passing out from dissecting frogs, he passes out because the Bio class was doing blood type tests.  There were many other minor changes - Stephanie Meyer wrote in a little intro passage that she made Beau a little less depressing and angry than Bella, and some of the changes were in result of him being male rather than female.  Beau is more OCD than Bella.  She kept Bella's parents as their original genders (Charlie and Renee).
As a 19-year-old basically rereading Twilight, it was not as enjoyable as I remembered from reading it in middle school.  I'm not sure if it's because I already knew how the story went, the change in the characters' genders, or because I forgot how much Bella (Beau) constantly mentions how perfect and beautiful Edward (Edythe) is.  However, it was definitely interesting to see this from a different perspective.
Once again I was reminded how perfect Bella (Beau) would have been with Jacob (Jules).  I'm sorry guys, I've always been Team Jacob.  Bella's relationship with Edward was basically her just fawning over his beauty constantly, but with Jacob she was natural, joking, and happy.  I know, I know, obviously that's not how it went.  Hey, I can dream, right??
One other thing.  I'm not sure if this is a spoiler per se, but the ending is different than the original story - which was pretty cool.  Also, I can't remember if it was in the original story, but Alice's (a.k.a Archie) story on how she became a vampire was included.  That was the difference between me giving this 3 stars and 3.5 stars.  I was genuinely curious as to how Alice (Archie) became a vampire, and the alternate ending took me by surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...