Monday, October 19, 2015

I Was a Teenage Ghost Hunter by Brian K. Henry

Title: I Was a Teenage Ghost Hunter
Author: Brian K. Henry
Released March 18, 2014
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 4/5

Summary

Moody sixteen-year-old barista Devin Mulwray is doing his best to ignore bizarre manifestations at his job in the chilly Northern California town of Arcata. Already teased about his recurrent ‘phase-outs’, the last thing he needs is to get pegged as a guy who sees ghosts. It doesn’t help his state of mind that his boss is a sarcastic slacker, his single dad is always on the road with clients and local occult fan girl Nayra is spreading ‘ghost boy’ rumors about him online.

But when violent paranormal activity badly spooks teens at an abandoned estate, Devin’s pushed into investigating by his eccentric friends Clive, a budding composer, and Rex, a tech head excited by ghost hunting gadgetry. At first reluctant to get involved, Devin’s encouraged when Emily, one of the more empathetic girls at Grey Bluff High, is impressed with his daring.

Together the friends explore the creepy Rousten manor. But as the only person able to perceive the manifestations, Devin soon finds himself going one-on-one against a powerful spirit who attacks the locals and infiltrates Devin’s own dreams.

Devin must face his fear of confronting the spirit world and get to the bottom of the hauntings before the specter unleashes more havoc on him and his friends (Summary from Goodreads).


I'm writing this review during hour 14 of the read-a-thon (from last Saturday) so bear with me because my mind is mush, so I decided to take a break and write this review.  I finished I Was a Teenage Ghost Hunter during the read-a-thon, and it was a great book to read for a read-a-thon since the length isn't too long and it's a  light read.  Plus, it goes with the whole Halloween spirit for the month of October.

I seem to have a thing for quirky characters, which were definitely present in I Was a Teenage Ghost Hunter.  Devin has two main friends: Clive, an English born music aficionado who composes interesting music, and Rex who definitely has a lot of energy and reminds me a bit of Ben from Paper Towns.  Nayra was basically what the synopsis above says: "local occult fan girl."  Her dialogue with Devin had me chuckling a few times.

The story didn't always hold my attention, possibly because my age sometimes makes it difficult to enjoy YA books the way I would if I were in middle school or high school.  However, the writing stood out to me because there are so many YA books with repetitive writing that annoy me after a while, and this book wasn't repetitive to me.  Plus, there's a lot of "ten-dollar" words thrown in that would be good for any high school student studying for the SAT.  Good thing Kindles have the option to quickly look at definitions! However, I did notice quite a few errors in terms of incorrect grammar and spelling.

Overall, a pleasant read for the month of October.  I'd recommend this for the younger part of the YA audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...