Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

Title: The Alloy of Law (Mistborn #4)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Released January 1, 2011
Audiobook free month on Audible
Review: 4/5

Summary

Centuries after the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity - railroads, electric street lights, and skyscrapers. Waxillium Ladrian can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After 20 years in the dusty Roughs, in the city of Elendel, the new head of a noble house may need to keep his guns (Summary from Goodreads).

Audiobook Review

I was excited to try this as my first audiobook!  At first, I really enjoyed being able to utilize the minutes that add up driving to work, home, or anywhere.  Initially, I was able to pay attention pretty well, but after a while I found my mind drifting off and when I started paying attention again to the story I had no idea what was going on or where the characters were (apparently I have crappy focus).  

As far as the voice acting, it was cool to have the actor doing different voices for the characters because it helps me visualize the characters.  However, his voicing of the female characters was kinda strange and funny. 

Since I started an OwlCrate subscription, I will not be continuing my Audible subscription because I really should not be spending so much money as a college student and I'm forcing myself to give up one or the other.  As far  as my experience with my first audiobook goes, I liked it more than I thought I would, but because of my lacking ability to focus I was unable to fully experience the book.  While I'm not continuing my subscription, that doesn't mean I won't try it out again in the future when I can actually afford all this stuff.

Book Review

As far as the book goes, once again I was pumped to get back into the world of Allomancers.  My favorite parts are the ones where Sanderson is describing the characters using their Allomancy or Feruchemy.  It's so cool because he makes it make sense, as if it can be scientifically achievable.   For example, the fact that most Allomancers would only have one power was great because it makes sense that Allomancy would die off over the course of 300 years.

There was a definite hole in my chest for all the characters that appeared in the first three books, and it was pretty cool when the "new" characters would mention the past.  I was like "Yo you're talking about Vin and Kelsier!!"  I also missed the old world, but it was actually interesting how the characters used their Allomantic powers in a more modern setting, like when Wax would Push on gun bullets to make them faster and use lamp posts to travel around. 

I wasn't paying as much attention as I could have as a result of my crappy listening skills, so I honestly missed some important events in the storyline. From what I could piece together, however, I know that the conflict is on a much smaller scale than that of the first three books.  It was a kind of wild western mystery, which is a much different feel from the first three books.

While Wax, Wayne, and Marasi were agreeable characters, they didn't stand out as much as my baes from the first three books.  Perhaps I am just a little too attached to the old characters, but hey that's how I feel. I'm still looking forward to continuing the series, because I think the story took an interesting turn at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...