Monday, July 20, 2015

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Title: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Released August 7, 2015
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 5/5

Summary

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined (Summary from Goodreads).

Wow I knew I was going to like this book because I've only heard amazing things about it from friends and most of the booktubers I watch.  There were some negative reviews on Goodreads for various reasons, which kind of surprised me, although I understand they're point of view.

One such negative review I saw was that Celaena came off a little full of herself.  I disagree. In fact, it was refreshing to meet a main character that doesn't talk about how ugly she is all the time when she probably isn't based on all the male characters that fall all over her.  To me, Celaena did not come off arrogant; she is just confident in the way she looks.  It bugs me a little that confidence is seen as "full of yourself." She was never judgmental about others, and never said she looked better than anyone else.  She was simply stating fact.  Rant over.

Anyhow, I loved Celaena's character.  I liked that she had an awesome assassin side while also loving "normal" things like books, dogs, and clothes.  You wouldn't think she was an assassin by the way she acts almost like a normal 18 year-old, but when it came down to it she could flip on her assassin switch and kick some serious butt.  She had some character development going on, as well.  When she was first released from Endovier, most of her thoughts were how she could kill the soldiers and escape.  By the end of the book, Celaena had befriended characters and stopped thinking this way.  

Another thing that bothered people who gave negative reviews was a potential love triangle between the Crown Prince, Dorian, and the Captain of the Guard, Chaol (pronounced kay-all).  These people stopped reading the book before they could even see what ended up happening (I won't reveal anything).  I enjoyed both Dorian and Chaol's personalities.  Dorian is the more open and caring one, but is also something of a womanizer.  Chaol (my bae) was a lot more reserved, but sometimes showed flashes of his feelings for Celaena.  He also did not trust Celaena throughout the majority of the book, but Dorian liked her a lot sooner.  My favorite kind of ships are the ones that build slowly, especially with characters like Chaol. Personally, I can't stand love-at-first-sight relationships.  Therefore, I am a hardcore shipper of Chaol and Celaena.

Not only were the characters likable, but the plot was intriguing and I felt like there was direction in the story.  It's hard to describe, but I felt like everything was really put together, like Sarah J. Maas really knew the direction the characters wanted to take in the story. 

Between the great characters, action, and storyline, I loved this book and I cannot wait to get started on the next one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...