Thursday, July 30, 2015

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Title: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Released August 27, 2013
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 5/5

Summary

"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for (Summary from Goodreads).


First of all, I must say...FEEEEEEEEEELS. FEEEEEEEELS LIKE NO OTHER.

I swear the first half of this book was all Chaol x Celaena feels.  I haven't loved a ship so much since The Infernal Devices.  Such sweet agony.  I was an emotional mess throughout most of this book.  Yup.  If you plan to read this series, prepare yourself for lots of emotions (if you like those kind of ships that plunge a knife into your heart and twists it until you are no more than shreds of feels).

I don't even know what to say except that soooooo much happened in this book.  From the feels, to the mystery surrounding Celaena's family and past, to the death of a major character and a huge hole in my ship.  I can't really talk about it without spoiling anything, but just know that it was awesome.   You'd think a student in college would be able to come up with a better description for this book, but alas! I am an accounting major with sucky writing skills.

Alright, I will try to get serious.  What is it about this book series that I love so much? I'm trying to pinpoint it.  Besides the good ship, I think the writing is fantastic.  I feel like I understand each character that Maas shows me, and action scenes have my blood pumping.  Mainly, the pacing is what attracts me to the story the most.  The chapters are not too long, not too short.  I'm never bored when I go into another character's point of view, because I know that Maas is showing me something important to the plot.  If the story starts to slow, there is always something unexpected that brings me right back on my toes.  Finally, it ended with a great cliffhanger.  I have absolutely no idea what will happen in the next book, but I think I need to recharge before I face these feels again.

I am emotionally exhausted from the Chaol x Celaena ship (in a good kind of painful way, if that makes sense).  I think I'm going to read a couple other books before I dive back into this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...