Wednesday, July 15, 2015

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Released January 1, 2014
Bought Hardcover from Book Outlet
Rating: 4/5

Summary

In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments! (Summary from Goodreads)


Whoa so I've finally finished The Mortal Instruments series!! I deserve an award for finishing this massive 725-page book.  I wanted to post a review no matter what this week, so I read around 200 pages yesterday to finish it!

Well, where to even begin? I remember starting this series around 5 or so years ago, and loving every moment of it.  I loved the Shadowhunters' culture and system, the storyline of Clary searching for her mother, and the development of Clary and Jace's relationship.  Also, all the awesome scenes of Jace, Clary, Simon, Isabelle, and Alec fighting demons.  It was a whole new experience starting this series.

Personally, I think the series should have stopped at the third book.  After reading books 4-6, I can't help but feel like it's all filler just to make the series longer, not to add something - I can't even find the word for it - to the story.  Despite my feelings toward the extra three books, I still enjoyed being back in the world of Shadowhunters with those characters that I've grown to love - especially my Simon.

So, what did I like about the book?  For one, just being able to see the characters interact and show their personalities again. Isabelle being sassy and fashionable, Alec being level-headed, Jace being Jace, Simon's geekiness, and Magnus' fabulousness.  I didn't care much for the whole return of Sebastian storyline of the last three books, but I appreciated the action nonetheless.  But what I liked most was the interweaving of the characters from The Infernal Devices.  THEY ARE MY BAES.  I LOVE THEM SOOOO MUCH.  I highly recommend that you guys read The Infernal Devices, perhaps even before reading City of Heavenly Fire, so you can appreciate the hints thrown into the book.  If you guys don't already know, The Infernal Devices are my FAVORITE BOOKS EVER. THE FEEEEELS.

Okay. I need to calm down.

Back to City of Heavenly Fire.  Usually there are always some points of view that I truly don't give a shit about - like Maia.  But for some reason I didn't mind it in this book - even Maia (she used to be kind of annoying to me).  I especially liked Emma Carstairs because she reminded me of Tessa so much.  I think Cassandra Clare's next series, The Dark Artifices, follows Emma and Julian.  I already like these two so much that I'm probably going to read TDA.

Now, the ending.  I won't spoil anything, but I must say it was bittersweet.  I think everything tied together nicely, all the ships sailed, and there were some points left open for The Dark Artifices.  Overall, I didn't love this book as much as the first three or TID, but it was a nice conclusion to The Mortal Instruments, and I can't wait to watch the Shadowhunters television show when it airs next year!!! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...