Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson


Title: The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Released October 14th, 2008
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 5/5

Summary

(Warning: this summary is a spoiler if you haven't read the first two books!)

Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world. This adventure brings the Mistborn epic fantasy trilogy to a dramatic and surprising climax as Sanderson's saga offers complex characters and a compelling plot, asking hard questions about loyalty, faith and responsibility (Summary from Goodreads).


Possible Spoilers Ahead!

Hero of Ages starts off a couple years after the events at the end of The Well of Ascension.  The mists continue to come out earlier in the evening and stay longer in the morning.  The ash falls even quicker, threatening to destroy crops and all life.  The destructive god known as Ruin is set on destroying everything and the protective god Preservation is growing weaker.  Basically, serious shiz is going down and the end of the world does not seem far away.

Ironically, storage caverns prepared by the Lord Ruler give Vin and Elend hope that they can beat this unseen force.  Not only are Vin and Elend doing whatever they can to save their people, but Spook, Sazed, TenSoon, Breeze, and Ham also have roles to play in unlocking the Lord Ruler's secrets left behind in the caverns.

I'M SORRY I HAVE TO USE GIFS TO EXPRESS MYSELF

THAT ENDING HAD ME LIKE



BUT IN A GOOD WAY



ALL. THE. FEELS.

This is starting to look like a Tumblr post.  But seriously, the ending was bittersweet, yet perfect in every way.  It was amazing the way everything clicked together.  Brandon Sanderson must have planned that ending from the beginning of The Final Empire because all the little clues came together, even the little things that I didn't think were significant (like Vin's earring omigosh).  

For me, the best books are the ones that do what the Mistborn trilogy did; they completely take me by surprise and click seemingly unrelated bits of information that appeared throughout the series into an epic ending.  Suddenly all those little things make sense and I sit in awe of how meticulous Sanderson had to be in creating the details of the story.

When reading these books, it's like I'm watching a TV show in my head.  That's how great the story is brought to life.  At times, I admit that too much detail slows me down, but the world of Mistborn is so unique and the pieces of the story fit together so well that I loved every moment of it.

I actually don't want to get into detail about things from the story just because there is so much packed into the book that I think this general overview of my emotions is good enough to express this book (plus I'm a little lazy).  Also, I wouldn't be saying anything too different from my reviews of the first two books (such as how Vin's a badass and I love the world-building and so on and so forth).  So with that, I'm just gonna say that if you read the first two and are planning to read this one, prepare to have your mind blown at the end.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...