Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Alright guys don't hate me.  I liked the book but I really didn't love it.


Title: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
Released May 1st, 2012
Borrowed from Friend
Rating: 3.5/5.0
Read it if you liked Divergent. You might like it more/less than me depending on your personal preferences

Spoiler-Free Summary

Insurgent is a 2012 science fiction young adult novel by American novelist Veronica Roth, the second book in the Divergent trilogy. As the sequel to the 2011 bestseller Divergent, it continues the story of Tris Prior and the dystopian post-apocalyptic version of Chicago. Following the events of the previous novel, a war now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. While trying to save the people that she loves, Tris faces questions of grief, forgiveness, identity, loyalty, politics, and love (Summary from Goodreads).

Spoilers Ahead!

Overall, there were enough exciting scenes in the book to keep me interested, but I have to say the majority of it was lacking something.  Here's the deal: I kind of had overly-high expectations for Insurgent because I truly enjoyed Divergent.  I was hoping it would be just as fast-paced and action-packed as Divergent, but alas, I was disappointed. It wasn't bad, I just felt like it didn't capture my attention.

I have mixed feelings.  I can understand that Tris would be upset about shooting Will, and obviously upset about loosing her parents.  But I thought she was more strong-willed.  Personally, I thought the whole self-sacrifice thing was a little out of character.  After all, she always felt she wasn't as selfless as other Abnegation members.  Would she really sacrifice herself when she has people to care for like Christina, Tobias, and her other Dauntless friends?  On the other hand, I think about how ambiguous my own feelings would be in her situation.  If I lost both my parents and felt unending guilt for killing my best friend's boyfriend, I suppose my outlook on life would also change drastically.  So although Tris really bugged me throughout this book, I can understand where she's coming from.

Another thing that annoyed me was that they basically ran around to different factions with no real plan in mind, learning nothing new.  From the beginning, we knew that there is some sort of important information that Jeanine is holding secret, but we don't find out until the very end.  To be honest, the middle just felt like filler to me.

On a more positive note, I liked the cliffhanger ending.  I have friends that told me they hated the ending, but it was the kind of action I've been looking for throughout the entire middle of the book.  I like those "WTF" moments.  

Also, referring to my previous review on Divergent, I am happy that I was wrong about Christina possibly hating Tris for killing Will.  It was nice that they made up.  It didn't feel rushed, either.

I've decided to add a portion to my reviews with my top 3 favorite moments from the book.

Top 3 Favorite Moments

  1. I thought it was hilarious when Tris acted high after being given serum by the Amity towards the beginning of the book.  That whole scene with her and Tobias was adorable.
  2. I got all kinds of Tris/Tobias angsty feels when Tris falsely promises Tobias she wouldn't go to Erudite headquarters to sacrifice herself (but I didn't like Tris' choice).
  3. I got Harry Potter flashbacks at the point where Peter gave Tris paralyzing serum rather than death serum.  It kind of reminded me of Malfoy's mother protecting Harry at the end of Deathly Hallows.

Overall, I liked it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what changes they make in the movie adaption.  Now, onto Allegiant!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...