Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

It pains me to say that I didn't particularly care for this book.


Title: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth
Released October 22nd, 2013
Bought on Kindle
Rating: 2/5
Read it if you really want to finish the series, but prepare to be disappointed

Spoiler-Free Summary

Insurgent is a 2012 science fiction young adult novel by American novelist Veronica Roth, the second book in the Divergent trilogy. As the sequel to the 2011 bestseller Divergent, it continues the story of Tris Prior and the dystopian post-apocalyptic version of Chicago. Following the events of the previous novel, a war now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. While trying to save the people that she loves, Tris faces questions of grief, forgiveness, identity, loyalty, politics, and love (Summary from Goodreads).

Spoilers Ahead!

Oh boy, where to begin. This is simply the way I felt about it. You may find yourself loving the book, and that's totally okay.

I'm not sure how to exactly pinpoint why I felt Allegiant was so dull. Let me first say that it all depends on your personal preference.  There was some action, I guess, but I didn't feel anything. No excitement, nothing. Any connection I felt with the characters in Divergent was gone. Here's why I feel this way:

  • The writing was boring. Everything was boring. The descriptions just didn't paint a vivid picture in my head. I felt like I was reading something I wrote, which isn't good (there's a reason I read books and don't write them).
  • There was petty drama. Tris was acting like a self-righteous know-it-all. Her arguments with Tobias felt weak, like it was purposely put in just to cause conflict with their relationship. The fact that she was okay at first with sacrificing Caleb was strange. Even if my brother did something like Caleb, I don't know if I would ever think about sacrificing him. Obviously, she ended up sacrificing herself for Caleb, which I felt was more like her character.
  • I didn't like the plot. It just didn't feel well thought-out. The whole conflict between the "genetically damaged" and "genetically pure" felt like it came out of nowhere. I think there was great potential to do something better than that.
  • The ending didn't really bother me so much as the fact that I really didn't care that (BIG SPOILER) Tris died. There was a shock-factor, but I honestly just wanted to finish the book at that point.
On a slightly more positive note, here's my top moments (notice only two).

Top 2 Favorite Moments

  1. It's kind of weird but I liked the part when Tris and co. first entered the Bureau. I liked seeing (reading, rather) their reactions to all the things we "real" people see normally, like airplanes and Coca-Cola.
  2. It was also nice when Tris and Tobias finally forgave each other and the petty drama was over. Tris finally realized that Tobias was broken and needed support.
So obviously I was disappointed with Allegiant, but you might find that you love it, so give it a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...