Wednesday, February 25, 2015

My 5 Favorite YA Book Series

Alright, so I've decided to list my top five favorite YA book series, not including Harry Potter because, let's face it, that's everyone's favorite book series.  These aren't necessarily in order from most favorite to least favorite.

1. The Lunar Chronicles


I love this series so much! For those that do not know, this series takes your traditional fairy tale characters and puts a futuristic spin on it.  You may be thinking, "well, that sounds kind of stupid," but the stories are completely different from the traditional fairy tale.  The first book introduces us to Cinder, who is a cyborg version of Cinderella, and is also a mechanic.  If that's not awesome enough, the second book introduces Scarlet, a kick-ass teenage Little Red Riding Hood.  The third, Cress, who has an affinity for computers.  Each of them has their own man (I don't know which ship I love more, Cress and Thorne, or Cinder and Kai), but the romance doesn't take away from the great story line.  Basically, these characters band together to fight the evil alien Queen Levana.  There's three books out so far, and I'm dying to read the final book, Winter, which I believe comes out this November.  They're definitely worth checking out!

2. The Mortal Instruments


I think I started reading these maybe four or five years ago, and I was absolutely hooked.  I actually haven't read the last book yet, but I plan to sometime this year.  While I think there wasn't a need to make this series as long as it is, I still really enjoyed it and I became attached to the characters.  It's basically about a girl, Clary, who stumbles into the world of Shadowhunters that fight demons.  As the story progresses, you find that Clary's family is connected to these Shadowhunters.  Of course, there's much more than that, including a few great ships.  I'd say the first three books are fantastic, and the next two are okay.  Like I said, I haven't read the last one, but I'm looking forward to reading it so I can get some closure for this series.

3. The Infernal Devices


I have to say, if I were to pick a favorite out of these favorites, this series might be it.  The Infernal Devices are a kind of prequel to The Mortal Instruments.  The setting is in 1800s England.  It doesn't really matter what order you read these series, but personally I would start with The Mortal Instruments and then go to The Infernal Devices so you can get some of the creative references to the future characters.  I always love me a painful ship - the kind that makes weird dying seal noises come out of me when I read.  Let me tell you, this is a love triangle done right.  I seriously need to reread these sometime, because I need to relive the feels.

4. Uglies


This next series I read when I was in eight grade and had just started delving into the YA genre.  It was my first dystopian series, and I was fascinated with the world created in these books.  I can't remember most of the details, but these books got me reading even more of the YA genre.  These books take place in a futuristic world in which everything is perfect and controlled.  Your considered an "Ugly" until the age of 16, when you get a surgery that makes you a "Pretty." Our main character, Tally (whose name I had to look up because I forgot), is looking forward to the surgery so she can join the Pretties and their party life.  She meets a girl named Shay, who has a much different outlook on life.  After Shay disappears, Tally is sent out into the forest to find her and bring her back, and learns that her life isn't what she thought it was.  I recently checked out the rating on Goodreads, and I was surprised to see them below 4 stars (out of 5).  I think I was in a good age range to read them at the time, because I remember fully enjoying it.

5. The Hunger Games


Now I assume that most of you reading this blog have either already read the books or seen the movies, so I'll spare you the summary.  I also read these around eighth grade, before they got really popular.  Like the Uglies series, I was fascinated by the dystopian world created in this series, as well as the action.  My favorite of the three was the second one, and I'm not 100% sure why, but I think it's because of the action in the arena and the surprise ending.  I  honestly wasn't too impressed with Mockingjay, but I enjoyed the first two books enough to put the series on the list.  


2 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm reading a new series by Nora Robert's Dark Witch is Book One of the O'Dwyer Trilogy. You might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy is not YA too much sex.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...